Wednesday 11 December 2013

Signed Mr Mandela's Condolence Book at South African High Commission 9th Dec '13

Signing the Condolence Book at  South African High Commission
The message I left...
Many thanks Mr Mandela for teaching my how to forgive and have compassion and understanding for my fellow human beings - you were one of the greatest.
Love
Michael
Obama gave a powerfull and moving speech at Mr Mandela's memorial service, the lines that struck me were:
It took a man like [sic] Madiba to free not just the prisoner, but the jailor as well; to show that you must trust others so that they may trust you; to teach that reconciliation is not a matter of ignoring a cruel past, but a means of confronting it with inclusion, generosity and truth. He changed laws, but also hearts.
We can choose to live in a world defined not by our differences, but by our common hopes.
Obama closed by quoting Mr Mandela
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
There were many floral tributes left outside the High Commission....



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing. One small thing: the poem Obama cited is from William Ernest Henley: Invictus.

    ReplyDelete